Monday, June 8, 2015

Working part time - Yay or Nay?

IMG_7715

Recently read an article on the difference between youths who've worked part time and youths who've never tried it. I guess it's safe to say that I don't belong to the latter. Working part time is an experience that will help mould us into who we are today, giving us an idea of how the working society is like. Not to mention, extra pocket money!

I remember completing my O Levels when I was 16 and the first thing I wanted to do was to work part time. Funny how I couldn't wait to grow up. There weren't many part time jobs in Singapore for my age at that time so I became a banquet waitress at M Hotel. I had to carry heavy trays filled with dirty dishes and glasses, serve 10 courses of food and portion most of them. This taught me customer service skills when I had to deal with nasty diners so as much as the job sucked, I learnt a lot from it.

My second part time job was Udders ice cream at $5 per hour during my polytechnic days. Part time jobs for students nowadays have such a wide variety and the pay is an average $8 per hour! So lucky! I had to work 12 hour shifts sometimes and it was tiring especially during closing shifts and we had to mop the floor, wash stacks of dishes, wash the toilet and even lift chairs onto the tables. Sometimes we worked till 1am. I'm surprised how I stayed in that job for an entire year. Hahaha. Quite glad I did because it's sort of going through "hardship" since I don't normally do these things at home.

Other part time jobs I've tried were IT shows which were commission based and retail, selling bags for a brand named Kipling. Yes - that bag brand with the signature monkey keychain. Also $6 per hour. I didn't like retail as much as F&B because at least F&B jobs kept me busy and time passed so much faster there. Retail is exceptionally boring especially during weekdays when nobody has the time to shop.

Things we all look for in a part time job:
-Reasonable pay (the higher the better!)
-Flexible working hours
-Fun environment
-Convenient location

Part time jobs Singapore: With a wide variety of choices nowadays, which would you pick? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment